Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Why I Don't Do Romance




    My parents taught me to read at a very young age. My mother encouraged the classics, and the best sellers, my father was big on Sci-Fi and old westerns, but both adored reference books. The very first thing my father did when we moved into our old farmhouse was build a library. My mother who had worked at her college library put it in its proper order.

     I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'romance novels' until I hit middle school. In our library, the closest thing you would find to a romance novel was Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor, that I avoided until my sister made me a bet.

     Everyone knew I could read a novel in a day, larger ones maybe 24 hours given the time. She baited me by betting that if we started the book at the same time, she would finish it first. Well I took her up on that bet, and finished in record time. I called her and told her, and she laughed, "I didn't read it, I just wanted to make you read it." She then asked me how I liked it. I told her I didn't and when I got to the end, I threw that damn book.

     No offense to romance writers, the book was well written and the character of Amber was feisty and strong willed, but she put all her energy into the wrong things--in my opinion. Spending her whole life chasing after one man makes a good story but a wasted life. Why I threw the book was because of the ending, might, as well as ended with "Tomorrow is another day.”

     Back in the day, I had my crushes on the handsome boys, all the parts in the right place and perfectly shaped and popular. Just like the book, they were easy to catch initially, but hardly worth the effort.

     Now if a girl wants to chase a body instead of a soul that is up to them, but that is not my thing and wished the girls of today would think of the big picture instead of fleetingly having an ornament that doesn't think past the end of the week.

    I like a book with  love interest, but I don't want the whole book about chasing him down, losing him then ending up in the bedroom, knowing everything play by play, and calling it love. Love is a mystery. We can't nail down exactly why we fall in love but rarely is it instantaneously, not the real stuff trust me. There is a passage in Jane Eyre that says it all for me.



  “Do you think I am an automaton? — a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal — as we are!”   


      Charlotte Brontë. was talking souls and minds, not physical love that today seems to be more interesting to many people.
  Now I know some will read this and say "whatever bitch' and I'm fine with that. I might even bet I am in the minority on this subject. I have always found a person's mind much more interesting than an entertaining body I can't help that. I'm also one that will look at beefcake for what it is, eye candy nothing more. I do love the eye candy, I'm not that weird. And if you can find eye candy with a brain, a deep soul and sensitivity I say go for it. (Or whatever floats your boat, those are my weaknesses) Hell I even write about hot commodities such as these. The dream of a perfect looking guy with the whole package, that is why we call it fiction. In truth, one person's perfection is another person’s flawed character.

    I know many people who love their romance novels, and they don't get me, hung up on Jane Austen, the Brontë. sisters and horror stories. I like my flawed characters just trying to figure out what love really is.

   P.S.

       Or in the case of reading Stephen King, the characters love interest dies a horrible death.


    P.S.S. Just an opinion of my rambling mind







    

No comments:

Post a Comment