Sunday, January 5, 2014

Brought up Brave




When I was a little girl, my father started teaching me the facts of life....
         The only person you can depend on is yourself
          Find a man that will admire your independence instead of trying to take it from you
          Never come home and say you lost a fight
          Never give less than 110%
          And never let them see you sweat
          Never settle
     I was taught how to defend myself at such a young age I can remember when he started teaching me. My father was a military man, retired a Sargent. He was also a boxer while he served our country. He taught me how not to punch like a girl, and where to hit to inflict the most injury or worse. I was a tiny little thing, and all he wanted from his princess was for her to be able to take care of herself.
     By the time I was the age I was permitted to date, no one had the guts to ask me out on a date. My father was famous for watching over me, and for looking mean as hell. I actually had to go out of town to find someone who didn't know my father to have a date, but by then the die had been cast...I was my father’s daughter.
     I had no idea how intimidating I was, being only 5'2" and skinny. Honest to a fault, independent, and took very little crap. I was used to conversation that you could not find with your average teen boy, they could not compare. Either they didn't make the cut, or they ran so fast all I saw was there tread marks. The truth was I just didn't care. If they didn't have the nuts to stick around who wanted them to?
     Let's face it, who could ever be as grand as my father? He showed time and again he had no problem fighting for what was right, no matter the cost. It was clear to anyone that knew him he didn't fear anything, not even death. He worked for the government, and was the union president for years. He was looked up to, leaned on, and respected. He was self-educated for the most part, and what he didn't know he would research it and learn it. He had compassion, and would give you everything he had if he could. He went out of his way to be a gentleman, and show his little Warrior Princess what a gentleman was. He in my eyes was a mortal God.
    He had told me not to depend on anyone, but he failed to see how much I depended on him. After he passed away, I looked for him in the eyes of everyone I met. Some came close but always fell short. He also told me not to settle, but as he had set the bar, so high there had to be a compromise. I looked for him for years and had no luck. Until one day, I looked in the mirror, and there he was. Yes Dad you got your wish, I depend on no one but myself









No comments:

Post a Comment